Tuesday, 8 January 2013

USMC Reading list

Just a short post tonight due to other things weighing on my time. Thanks to the various people who recommended the Marine Corp Professional reading list, which has been updated for the new year.

As a lover of books and a lover of strategy I've long had an affection for this particular reading list, as it provides me with new ideas and insights as to what to read that year. Although a certain amount of the books are of primary interest to a Marine (or a combat soldier) there are plenty which jump off the page as having greater value. My priority reads from this edition will likely be:

The Warrior Ethos - Steven Pressfield

The Killer Angels - Michael Shaara

Attacks - Erwin Rommel (I've read this before, but never felt satisfied with my reading of it, so I'll likely revisit it in 2013)

Curiously this is one of the first times when I've read the goodly number of the non military texts, which include staples such as Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell and Sources of Power by Gary Klein.

One sub category which deserves calling out is that of Strategic Thinking, which is a truly superb list for the strategist. I've read too few of these books, but know they're all of exceptional quality.

I'll finish this post off with a quote I picked up at the Boyd and Beyond conference
It is incumbent upon the Marine officer to be constantly teaching his men, his junior officers and himself
- General Leonard F. Chapman, Jr
24th Commandant of the Marine Corps
 
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment