- It takes officers out of their intellectual comfort zones
- Exposes the officer to different and diverse viewpoints
- Provides general intellectual capital, which may be of use in "outside the box" thinking
- Helps develop communication skills
- Helps develop critical thinking
- Encourages a sense of intellectual humility
Anyway, read both the Petraeus piece and the linked article from Betz, who explores some similar ideas. As always, discussion welcome via the blog, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and so forth. Help me develop my critical thinking and intellectual humility.